The Do Good Accelerator is a collaborative space on campus that supports and helps to scale up students' innovative solutions to our world's most pressing challenges. The Accelerator offers a number of training, development and networking opportunities to enable promising nonprofits, projects and socially-minded businesses the chance to grow their reach and impact.
This creative community space provides students with leadership coaching, mentoring opportunities with local businesses, foundations, nonprofits and NGOs, financial support and training to further their ideas.
Current Open Opportunities:
Programs Offered at the Do Good Accelerator
Have an idea that aims to create positive social change, working on an impact project, need help with your model, marketing, fundraising, stakeholder engagement, or anything else? Join us for Tune-Up Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Do Good Accelerator to take your idea, project, or venture to the next step.
The Do Good Accelerator is pleased to offer additional support for current UMD students, through coaching, to inspire action and impact. Current students engaged in classes, teams, projects, and organizations which place an emphasis on social impact are eligible to receive coaching support via Tune Up Tuesdays. Sign up today for the next Tuesday session!
Our coaches serve in an advisory capacity to support students to:
- Deepen their understanding of an issue they are passionate about
- Define the problem
- Develop a project proposal or strengthen an existing one
- Create meaningful partnerships
- Craft impactful pitches
- Learn the art of storytelling
- Support strategic program design and implementation
- Discover more about investments, grants, gifts, and other funding sources
- Prepare a strategic marketing plan
Interested, but not sure if coaching is right for you? You are a great candidate for coaching if you are:
- Targeting a social issue or cause that you are passionate about and want to get a better understanding of the issue or cause
- In the beginning stages of developing a proposal for a project, program, or venture and are working to address a specific cause or issue
- Starting to implement your idea and are actively engaging in activities in support of a targeted issue or cause
- Actively implementing your idea and are looking to create or scale-up the social impact of your nonprofit organization or venture
To participate in Tune-Up Tuesdays at the Do Good Accelerator:
- Complete the Coaching Intake Questionnaire and email it to Kisha Logan, Do Good Accelerator Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. *Note, you must be a current UMD student to participate in coaching at this time.
- Schedule a Tune-Up Tuesday Coaching session by clicking here
- Meet with your coach, via in-person meetings, phone calls, or email exchanges
Do you have an idea that could change someone’s life? Are you working on a Do Good project or social venture that could benefit from coaching, programming, and/or financial support? You could spend a semester exploring, testing, or scaling up your idea, project, or venture.
The Do Good Accelerator is offering semester-long Fellowship programs, during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters, to support students transform ideas into impact. The Fellows program provides students the space, resources, and opportunities to explore, test, or scale up their idea, project, or venture. Each week, students will spend time participating in 1:1 coaching sessions with field experts, engaging in workshops that provide insights to valuable tools and resources, and immersing themselves in group activities with their peers who are also tackling a variety of social issues.
Applications for the Summer 2020 cohort are now being accepted. You can apply online here. Students accepted into the program are required to be in the Accelerator for at least 18 hours a week and will be paid $3,000!
The Space You Need to Grow Your Impact
Collaborative Community Space and Resources to Support and Help Scale Up Innovative Ideas
Conveniently located off Route 1 behind The Hotel at UMD, the Do Good Accelerator is your on-campus collaboration space and project support center. The Accelerator is open Monday through Friday from 9:00am – 5:00pm (access and availability after business hours are reviewed on a case by case basis).
Accelerator membership is available to all current UMD students and alum working on a social-impact idea, project, venture, and/or organization. Membership is offered based on program participation, project feasibility, and space availability. If offered membership, it is active for one year (to exclude the summer semester). After 1 year members can renew their membership based on the initial criteria.
- Open collaborative workspace and meeting space
- 1:1 coaching and advising sessions, specifically geared toward your needs
- Connections to campus and external resources and experts
- Exclusive events, professional development and training opportunities
- Featured in Do Good Institute newsletters, website, social media, and more
- Event space (available by request)
Resources and Equipment
- Open work, classroom or event space (seats 30 for classes, 50 standing)
- Conference room, seats 8
- Two lounge areas, with couches
- 24 foldable, rolling tables, which seat two per table
- 50 stackable chairs
- 4 rolling whiteboards and 1 wall mounted dry erase board
- 2 wall mounted TV screens (connection via HDMI)
- Ceiling mounted projector (connection via HDMI)
- 36 lockers, equipped with locks
How to Apply
To apply, visit go.umd.edu/dgmembership. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, and membership term begins once selected for participation.
For more information about membership or the Do Good Accelerator contact Kisha Logan, Do Good Accelerator Manager. Or stop by to see us at 7878 Diamondback Drive, Suite B, College Park, MD 20740.
Apply for up to $30,000, a suite of valuable resources, and Do Good Accelerator membership today!
Are you a UMD student or alumni focused on doing good through a project, student group, nonprofit or social impact business? If so, then submit your one page proposal to Scale Your Impact today!
Scale Your Impact is a signature activity of the Do Good Accelerator that provides customized support and financial resources to University of Maryland students and alumni looking to extend their reach and create a larger social impact. Scale Your Impact is seeking groups who have already begun implementation, have had success to date, and are ready to scale.
The individuals and groups demonstrating the most significant impact and innovation could be awarded up to $30,000 to support the advancement of their project or venture as well as a suite of other valuable resources outlined below.
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Financial Assistance
- Legal Support and Advice
- Issue/Sector Expertise
- Board Development
- Course Offerings (undergraduate and graduate level)
- Collaborative Work Space
- Assistance with Fundraising, Communications & Marketing
- Corporate, Nonprofit, and Government Connections
A History of Supporting Students & Alums Who Are Changing the World
The Do Good Institute has a history of supporting individuals and the advancement of innovative and impactful projects and ventures. Many Do Good alumni are now leading high-impact organizations with ambitious missions to change the world. We have also supported the development of numerous student groups, projects, nonprofits and businesses that have helped rescue imprisoned journalists from abroad (Press Uncuffed); raised over $100,000 and built multiple schools for students in Honduras (Students Helping Honduras); and recycled and supplied medications to more than 17,000 people from low-income backgrounds in South America (James Hollister Wellness Foundation). Do Good alumni also include the CEOs of Imperfect Produce and Hungry Harvest, who were each named to Forbes’ Top 30 Under 30 list of social entrepreneurs; the founder of Microjusticia Argentina, who was named the Ernst and Young’s 2017 Social Entrepreneur of the Year; and the Urban Conversation Director for the Nature Conservancy and CEO of District Stormwater, a finalist for the 2018 Pritzker Emerging Environmental Genius Award.
Who Should Apply
University of Maryland students and alumni who have developed innovative projects, nonprofits or businesses that provide viable solutions to real-world problems. We are looking for exciting groups that we can support and advance.
Submit Your Proposal Today!
Proposals should be no more than one page single spaced (12pt, Times New Roman) and describe your project, venture or organization, results to-date, future plans, as well as what resources would be most beneficial in helping you scale.
Proposals are accepted on a rolling basis and should be emailed to Kisha Logan, Do Good Accelerator manager.